Daniel S. Trimmer focuses his practice on general civil litigation with concentrations in commercial litigation, construction, insurance, catastrophic tort, land use and contract and business disputes. He also has significant experience with food safety and product recalls and products liability litigation.
Dan represents closely held and publicly traded companies in state and federal courts and in arbitrations. Dan works with clients to rapidly respond to incidents and sensitive government investigations or regulatory matters. Dan has handled all facets of complex civil litigation including dispositive motions practice, electronic discovery, alternative dispute resolution, arbitration, and bench and jury trials.
Dan has experience defending a major big-box retailer and food manufacturer as defendants in class actions and numerous individual filed cases in federal and state courts with eight-figure exposure relating to a food-borne outbreak of Hepatitis A in nine Western states. Dan has successfully represented numerous clients in the food, restaurant, and hospitality industries. Dan also served as lead co-counsel in the defense of a parachute manufacturer in a wrongful death lawsuit litigated in federal court. The case was successfully settled for the client. Parker v. Airborne Systems (E.D.N.C.).
Dan works with clients to quickly and accurately assess all aspects of pending or potential litigation and to provide value-oriented strategies at each stage of the litigation process. His litigation experience includes construction defects and disputes, aviation litigation, product and catastrophic tort liability, subrogation, premises liability, and general business and contractual litigation.
During law school, Dan was a semi-finalist in the American Bar Association’s Regional Client Counseling Competition.
- U.S District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, 2013
- U.S District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina, 2013
- U.S District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, 2013
- U.S Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of North Carolina, 2013
- North Carolina, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2010
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2010
- Virginia, 2009
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- J.D. – 2009
- The Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia
- B.S. – 2006, with Honor
- Major: Economics and International Affairs
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina State Bar, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Member
- Virginia State Bar, Member